The students started out researching Greek myths/plays and chose a character that they found interesting. Using a template they began designing a mask based on their character. I have been really impressed with the types of designs I've been seeing. Some are half-face masks, some full-face, some include patterns and colors to show character... it's really been fun to listen to them explain their thinking on the designs.
After the demo it was just a case of getting our materials ready and turning the drama room into a delightful mess. For their first mask experience, everyone has been doing extremely well. It is amazing to see the students collaborate and cooperate with such proficiency. As they worked with their partners to create the base mask, I noticed that each team was doing a fantastic job taking care of their team mate. It can be a bit scary to sit in a chair 30 minutes while someone places gooey plaster gauze on your face, but each team made sure to ask their partner if they were okay and took measures to ensure their safety and comfort. Phenomenal students, plain and simple.
Check out the Gallery for more pictures of the experience and stay tuned as I add more!